"Every child should be taught to cook in school, not just talk about nutrition all day. Good food can be made in 15 minutes. This could be the first generation where the kids teach the parents." - Jamie Oliver
The annual TED conference is underway in Long Beach, California. TED is a small nonprofit devoted to "ideas worth spreading." It started in 1984 as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: technology, entertainment, design. TED prize winners are leaders in their chosen field of work with an unconventional viewpoint and a vision to transform the world.
I am very impressed with Chef Oliver's passion, his bold thinking, his faith in community, and his collaborative point of view. What's your opinion?
"I wish for your help to create a strong, sustainable movement to educate every child about food, inspire families to cook again and empower people everywhere to fight obesity."
Set up an organization to create a popular movement that will inspire people to change the way they eat. The movement will do this by establishing a network of community kitchens; launching a travelling food theater that will teach kids practical food and cooking skills in an entertaining way and provide basic training for parents and professionals; and bringing millions of people together through an online community to drive the fight against obesity. The grassroots movement must also challenge corporate America to support meaningful programs that will change the culture of junk food.
- Help to establish the organization, with funding, office space and facilities
- Find partners to equip and run the community kitchens, and food suppliers to provide the fresh ingredients
- A partner to build and maintain a fleet of food theatre trucks
- Education experts, graphic designers, artists and writers to develop and produce creative, fun teaching materials
- Communications experts to create messaging for the movement.
- Web designers and developers to create and build the Web site
- Establish a food line that generates a sustainable income for the movement.
- Corporate partners to invest in cooking and food education for their customers and champion honest food labeling